Monday, December 17, 2007

WEEK OFF SUNDAY LOVE (Sunday Love 12)

Well folks, it's finally happened... a whole week has gone by, without a Clippers home game... and as nice as it was to be home - it does feel a little weird not to be at STAPLES for so long... But that doesn't mean that nothing happened!!! RIGHT?!?! So bring on the

WEEK OFF SUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LOVE

Before today... the Clips had a decent road trip going... and by decent, I mean, we won 2 out of 3 games (and should have won all 3 if it wasn't for a complete meltdown in Charlotte... yeah, I know... CHARLOTTE) And, as I heard from many of you who took in games on TV or at your local sports bars, it's fun to win, even if we're on the road.

And hey, we did have one very interesting day of practice... punctuated by Hi-Def interviews. Honestly, is anyone as not psyched about being interviewed in Hi-Def as I am? I mean, don't get me wrong... as the two of you who came to my house to watch the game tonight can attest to... I'm a big fan of the Hi-Def... as is any bachelor. But seriously, I'm not certain anyone should be shot close up with that much definition without wearing make-up of some sort. I mean, really, I think I'd be much better off just a little bit blurry... I may send those guys an e-mail and see what they can do... maybe they can shoot just me in regular definition... Okay, fine, so maybe it's just me. But the green screen behind me was a little creepy too... I mean, I know they say they'll just put up Clippers stuff behind us, but, the movie dork in me thinks I'll end up talking about myself in front of a Delaware postcard. "Hi... I'm in Delaware"... anyone? anyone?

Practice was still good, however... the FP got all silly with new pyramids, a couple of us got kicked in the face (always a good time, and not including Dave Sanchez for once)... and the Spirit must have been having fun... because I heard Footloose about ten times being playing in their practice room... and hey, who doesn't like dancing to Footloose? There was even time for a fifteen minute ass-whupping from Katie before people had to bolt for STAPLES to watch us forget to play the fourth quarter (again) against the Lakers, and leave Laker fans with bragging rights until 2008... ugh. At least my abs got a workout. Honestly, I think we'd have a better shot winning games with a brick of swiss cheese playing point guard than we do with Dan Dickau... don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice enough guy... even looks like a kid that used to live on my block. But if want to see a point guard heave up 3 straight missed shots in the fourth quarter, I'll go watch the Knicks play. If Dan gets any colder from anyplace besides the free throw line, I think he'll freeze solid. Maybe a haircut? It worked for Kaman... and I'll bet Harmony would give him a great deal...

The only other high point of the week has been setting up for Tyler's visit. A big shout out to Kelley who took it upon herself to not only buy, but also to deliver to Tyler, a whole stocking full of Clippers gear and Christmas goodies... including an Elton Brand jersey, a shirt for his mom and hats for both of them (and some other Clippers swag). Despite the fact that she had a green light to go visit them this morning (Sunday)... when she showed up (around 10 am), they were still sleeping. But ever the bringer of Christmas cheer - Kelley still dropped off the goodies with Barb (Tyler's mom) and sped off to practice. That girl's a trooper! Good on ya, Kel!

So, with today's stellar practice and less than stellar game firmly in the rear-view mirror... let's have some SUNDAY PROPS:

TIFFANY C.
- for stunting... which normally isn't a big deal in Sunday Love... except that you're on SPIRIT! I'm not going to lie, I thought you were joking when you turned around and grabbed wrists... I really did. But I figured, well, I might as well try and throw this... and BOOM, you're up in hands, and then BOOM, you're up in lib. I mean, WOW... who knew? Well, apparently some of your teammates knew, because they were a LOT more shocked when Coach went up than you. But that was tremendous! Bring your stunting shoes to the game!

WHITNEY - for bringing cookies for the FP... as always, you've always made time for us, and we couldn't appreciate it more. Of course, by the time the FP had finished practice, that same plate of cookies had found their way into the SPIRIT practice room... and there were 4 LEFT... but, hey, I had one... they tasted awesome, and it's the thought that counts :) for your favorite dance move - which was just too low to get caught on camera...

COACH - also for stunting... because you were in exceptionally good mood... and having one of those making-sure-you've-still-got-it moments... rest assured, you still do! Oh the look on the Spirit's faces... classic!

SHANNON - for remembering to SMILE, even during Katie's workouts... some things you can count on: death, taxes, and Shannon smiling. Seeing World of Socks at Citywalk made me think of you instantly... but I figured you probably already have all their cool stuff already..

NINA E. - for being as big of a Christmas music dork as I am. I mean, really, who else could appreciate Monster Ballads Xmas?! (it is a great Christmas album, FYI... who can resist "I'll Be Home for Christmas" being covered by Quiet Riot and Lita Ford?!?!)... also for requesting me as a base for pyramids... nothing makes a base feel better than that.. it makes it all worthwhile!

NINA R. - for totally rocking out with the top ponytail after Spirit practice when nobody's looking... well, almost nobody :) ... remember the Ashley R. rule of Sunday Love: if you think no one saw - Sunday Love did...

KATIE - for totally manning up while mid-basing pyramids... not only did you shoulder press Tami up over your head in the Swedish Falls to flat-back - but then you just muscled her up onto your thigh during the 1-1-1... impressive. Also for putting yourself into certain peril, staying tight and letting the boys save you - your right leg was the only thing between you and your face hitting the floor... three guys caught it, and you were safe. Textbook.

DAVID W. - for the save of the day on Sunday... I can't remember who you caught, Tami maybe? (I was just trying to keep Nina from hitting the deck) but if you hadn't been there, it would have been someone falling from 2 1/2 up, all the way to the ground. Nice job.

LESLIE - for all your great pyramid ideas! I can't say I followed them all, but they were a lot of fun to try, and I'm sure they will look amazing on the floor... Your patient explanations were great, and you always bring the same enthusiasm to practice that you do to games... You were awesome in your interview! Love the hand-slap after you were done talking ;) You even "clean" when you're by yourself!

ASHLEY R. - for making my interview a lot more difficult!!! Thanks :( Of course, for being the rock-star that you are... and for the record, 5'10" is plenty tall! I got Tiff C. to hands didn't I?!?!

NATE - for working with a separated shoulder. Yes, that's right folks, you read that correctly... now I know Nate would never say anything, cause he's hard like that... but you have to respect a guy that stunts with that. Seriously. Also, I didn't see anything wrong with your face - but what do I know?

ARTURO - for the 1-1-1. I haven't seen someone take that many shots to the face and keep going since the Leonard-Hearns fight in '81 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Ray_Leonard ) ... and you looked like you had been in a fight afterwards! Gotta love you checking your head in the mirror to see if you had any serious injuries... And all of it with a smile!

TAMI - for going up in a ton of pyramids without ever having done them before... and trusting us to take care of you. You're always willing to get up there... and for a great job on the swing-up high split! The crowd loves the high split, and they're gonna love that move! For some great pics with David S., too (ask him about them)

BRITTANY - for finally getting a chance to talk with me! I was beginning to think you were a very pretty and talented mute girl... turns out you're pretty charming company after all ;) for, like a few other girls on the teams, managing finals while getting through a difficult performance schedule! Well done...

JOEY - for our on-camera performance... there really wasn't much to think about when the camera crew asked me who I could have some fun with camera... good times. For being the bedrock of all our crazy pyramids... for suggesting a viewing party at my place and then not showing up... (you totally missed out on the Rock Band performance!) For the great many saving catches you made all day at practice (and being one of the guys on Katie's right leg save)

KELLEY - for really stepping up big on the effort to make sure Tyler has a special day on Tuesday... that was way above and beyond the call of duty... I hope the teams, with your help, can make this a more regular occurrence for us. For that great smile ... and for totally kicking my butt at Katie's 15 minute ab festival...

KRISTIN E. - for totally coming to the Clippers-Lakers viewing party at my apartment! That was the only thing that made that experience bearable... Plus who knew you were such a good drummer?!?! For those of you looking for a drummer for your band, Kris is a hidden treasure... seriously! And also, she can totally nail Bon Jovi's "Dead or Alive" on vocals! Represent... Burbank!

DAVID S. - for getting through a marathon Sunday... including getting up at dark-o'clock in the morning to get your girls through a competition in Anaheim - and still showing up for practice, like a trooper... for all your great advice during pyramid practice... for demonstrating the upside-down high split in your Chucks, black socks and Target sweatpants... some things I just wish I could un-see, lol... oh, and for rocking the Sanchez ponytail while basing!

KRISTEN M. - for finishing up your next-to-last quarter of college! Well done! I'm certain you don't need any help celebrating, but have a fun week in Vegas!

NICOLE B. - for being undeniably you... at all times. for a great text-message conversation... for consistently great quotes, and one really funny interview, and getting Joey and I kicked out of the interview room... for being a bad-ass mid-base and all your great advice on the pyramids. for being the favorite target of the HD-camera crew...

SUMMER, JOSH & CORTLIN - missed you guys at practice... so hope to see you on Tuesday or soon!

ALEX - for not getting mad at me for accidentally leaving you out of last week's Love! And still having a hug for me at practice... see? that's why I love you! Good to see you again ;)

EDAMAME - mostly because I just like writing it...

LAURA - for being an awesome host for my trip to the Pasadena Pub Crawl... sorry I was such a stick-in-the-butt... but I knew I was going to have a big Sunday, so I didn't really partake in the festivities. Wow, how old does that sound? Geez. But your commentary on the nonsense that was abounding was well worth the trip!

MELISSA, ASHLEY S., NICOLE C. & RACHEL -
try as I might... I still got nothin' on y'all. But, there are a lot games in the coming weeks - so I'll be watching! (as will my Spirit locker-room spies!)

.... Okay... don't think I forgot anyone this week... so it's off to the College Football wrap up...
So - there wasn't a whole lot going on (e.g. no Div I-A games) so we'll just deal with some of the other happenings:

UCLA - BYU - Jessie and Joey are still finalizing their bet for the game... Joey has offered to babysit Jessie's girls, and pay for an evening out for her and Bryce... and Jessie's still trying to come up with something comparable. So if you've got any good ideas, come with them... of course, it's really academic - UCLA will be (mostly) coachless, and God only knows who'll be playing quarterback (rumor has it they called Joey and asked if he wanted the job)... but hey, maybe they'll get Kristen back into a cheer mini-skirt and they'll get all inspired (shoot, those facials make me want to go play football)... You two better publish your bet details soon...

NAVY - UTAH - This THURSDAY!

Utah has allowed 20 points or fewer in each of its last six games. The Utes own the nation's third-lowest points-against average at 15.6, trailing only Virginia Tech (15.5) and Ohio State (10.7). Navy was eighth in scoring at 39.9 points per game this season. The Midshipmen went 6-1 when they scored at least 35 points, and they never finished with fewer than 24 points. Navy enters the bowl on a four-game winning streak, capping the regular season with its most-lopsided victory by beating Army 38-3 on Dec. 1.

We're Head Coach-less... but no one digs deep like the boys from Annapolis... There's not going to be any betting on this one... but it will mean bragging rights for the year!

And... that's about it for college football... anyone have any favorite pro teams??? (Besides Katie's beloved Ravens who gave the lowly Dolphins their first win of the year... looks like they may need Katie back!)

So... here is a very short installment of SUNDAY QUOTES:

"What happened to your face?!?" - Nicole, and her very nice way of telling Nate that he may have some slight facial bruising during practice.

"Completely gay" - me, when asked during an interview: "How does it feel to be a male cheerleader?"

"I'm smiling, Glenn!" - Shannon, in the middle of superwoman's during Katie's workout when she was facing away from me... as if I had any doubt.

"This hurts to watch..." - David S., at the Clippers-Lakers viewing party. Amen, David.

... I feel like I'm forgetting some good ones... so, help me out!

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I walked into the end of Spirit practice and they just sort of "finished" and walked off the floor. I had always imagined that Spirit practice ended with a big dance circle and everyone taking turns showing off their new moves... oh well, at least the locker room is still a slumber party...

And hey, don't forget, Tiffany's road trip on December 28th, for the second half of a home and home against Phoenix! Check out her Evite and come along!!!

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=HKPUBHOCZXWUUVDGDXXQ

... if I forgot anything or anyone, please feel free to "Reply to All" and fill in for me where I left off... My next installment will be from the frozen tundra of suburban Colorado... I'm looking forward to seeing many of you on Tuesday, and for the rest of you all...please travel safely!

Truitt, out...

No comments: