Sunday, January 13, 2008

ABSENTEE SUNDAY LOVE (Sunday Love 16)

Well all, it's finally happened, the first Clippers home game has gone by where I wasn't working or attending... and I know, I know... the roof didn't fall in on the STAPLES Center and everything was just fine . And, I know what you were all thinking... where were you? and then immediately afterwards wondering... what about Sunday Love?! Fear not, people... I was on a much-needed holiday at the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego (which I highly recommend, by the way) and as I learned during my many years performing in the circus, the show must go on!!!

So with that, bring on the ABSENTEE SUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LOVE!

Okay, so I never actually performed for the circus... it's more of an abstract metaphor for my love life, which is (alas) a story for a different day. But the week saw two great Clippers home games and STAPLES Center quickly becoming the home of the heartbreaking loss... The Orlando game Wednesday was a chance, at the very least, to see the most impressive deltoids in the NBA (I mean, second most impressive - sorry, Joey)... Coach Dunleavy got t'd up twice - so fast that it really makes you wonder just what on earth he said that official - especially when Dwight Howard only got one technical foul for shouting "MotherF#@#$r, what's wrong with you?!" at the same guy a little later... and loud enough that I heard in "Shooters Corner"... maybe something to ask Coach next time you see him. Also, it was a little disheartening to see the team not get fired up at all when Coach got gated. Seriously, Jessie got more geeked up about Eva Longoria than the team did about Coach D getting ejected... but in fairness, it happened so fast that at least two of the FP girls had no idea that he had been ejected (even a full quarter later), so maybe they just didn't notice...

And... while I was busy galavanting about downtown San Diego, the Clips spent the better part of Saturday evening putting it to the Mavs... I came across the game (quite by accident) on the TV and sent a text to much of the FP Crew... A special shout out to Dave Sanchez who after becoming the only friend who would ever sing me "Feliz Navidad" over the phone, then became the only friend who would ever have the FP sing "Happy Birthday" to me in the locker room at halftime during a game (especially when he knows my birthday is in June)... You have to understand the remarkable occurrence that it is to finally have a friend in my life, which when people refer to the two of us, have him be the "crazy one"... Thanks to all who sent me text messages Saturday night... I MISSED YOU ALL TOO!

I had to, of course, find out about the result of the game after the fact, and then saw the heartbreak on SportsCenter... geez.

I also hear that I missed Joey's half court attempt... which apparently got both glass and front rim and not the home roll... did anyone get that on video??? Way to represent, Joe!

A big Sunday Love shout out to Katie's mom - who not only showed up to Saturday's game to view the baddest abs in the NBA - but also took Joey, Scotty, Katie, and & Whitney out for a 'lil post-game love at the Pantry!

Alas, the only pictures I have are of my weekend jaunt, which I'm sure are just about as exciting as everyone else's vacation photos - so I will not trouble you with them here... I trust that it suffices to say, I'm seriously considering a move down south... I mean, it's a longer commute to STAPLES, but it's amazing down there...

Okay - now listen folks, I'm not one to repeat myself ... but apparently people don't read other people's props section - and you may have missed out on the creepiest Clippers thing that I've found on the internet to-date... so, here it is, from last week's Taylor shout out... a little bit of internet creepery - ENJOY... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4049542989959293376 and be glad there's not one up there about you.

So, with the RECAP solidly in place - let's bring-it-back to SUNDAY PROPS:

Coach – for canceling practice today, for retelling the Eva Longoria story with particular glee, and for picking a team with twenty five girls a whole lot classier than Mrs. Tony Parker will ever hope to be.

Shannon – for your pending appearance as a "character" on the USA Network! They'll no-doubt be devoting a substantial section of that to your sock collection... and I have it on good authority that you smiled your face off on Saturday, absent any urging on my part... well done!

Whitney – for being my game correspondent, for finally calling me once and not asking if I knew where Joey was, and for a shared, uneventful and completely pathetic Friday night...

Taylor – for handling creepy fans with particularly graceful aplomb (I'm not sure anyone does it better), for general smiley-ness (I don't care if it's not a word), and always being a pleasure to see...

Kristin E. – for having an absence which completely overshadowed mine... I know at least one person who thought I was there on Saturday, but made a point of mentioning that you weren't (I hope they don't shoot a YouTube tribute video!)

Harmony – for being completely ready to help Ashley S. with her glam-up shopping assignment troubles... Now I know precisely who to call if I'm ever in handbag-selection distress... I mean, seriously, PRADA bags are so 2006, you know?! for making plans for the big 3-0 birthday celebration - somewhere far from L.A. ... hey, are we invited?!? (I didn't get my Evite yet)

Ashley R. – for being a great deal of fun to watch during warm-ups - because it's really the only time I ever seen you with a "serious" look on your face... and for some seriously zesty new MySpace pictures, honestly, no one makes being fully clothed look quite as good as you do!

Tiffany C. – for making the big move to the beach! Word on the street is that I came up just short in the Traci B.'s new roommate contest... but it's ok, if I had to lose it to someone, I'd rather it be T-Chen than anyone else... looks like a new job and some very exciting times ahead! Congratulations!

Edamame – for one seriously funny quote (see below)...

Kelley – for still not reading Sunday Love ...

Nina R. - for showing up to practice with an extra-large Red Bull... I mean, that's like Brittany bringing a megaphone ... it'll work, but what on earth are you going to use it for?! I heard the last time you spoke up at practice was when everyone was introducing themselves! Way to enhance the quiet...

Alex
– for making your little sister wheel your enormous Spirit suitcase from the arena to your car... for having the courage to actually introduce me to your family (you never know what I'm going to say!)... and for completely hogging up the Jumbotron while the Spirit were on the floor on Wednesday...

Tiffany M. – for being the only Miller who's not reading Sunday Love now... (thanks, Tom!)

Ashley S. – for being, as one Spirit member put it, "the next Beyonce"... for a February trip to the Bahamas (you should if you can take Nina E. with you... because I'm afraid her other Bahamas plans might fall through), for having the "crisis" that is finding ten new outfits before then... thankfully, you've got a lot of expertise around you...

Tami – for another shot to the eye (although that one was totally my fault), for toughing out my Atomic Knee Drop during pre-game warmups, and for your first over-share of the season (putting you about approximately thirty behind Cortlin)...

Nicole B. – for, along with Leslie, providing the most entertaining double-entendre laden conversation I've heard to-date.... and in the locker room, no less. For getting us pumped and through our Wednesday night pre-game "blahs" ...

Nate –
for making my weekend possible... for a great text message... and the quote of the week.

Leslie – for never being shy about a little "shake" ... for always being up in the stands and for stepping up to do whatever is asked of you with a smile...

Katie -
for trusting my legal advice, for keeping in touch with e-mail and text messages, and for being a great friend

Josh -
for being able to be identified during TV broadcasts by something other than your tattoos (Mr. Double Ankle Brace)...

Joey -
for not mocking me all weekend... seriously, that's big for you...

Dave Sanchez
- for the song, for the call, for the advice (and being one of the few people I'll actually take it from)

Arturo -
for checking up on me... I'm not feeling that much better, but it's good to know you've got my back, yo...

Cortlin - for being BACK! Seriously, where were you?!? I mean, at least Ashley S. was dancing on MTV... word has it that you didn't miss a beat, though... Glad to have you!

Rachel, Lynae, Nina E., Nicole C., Brittany, Kristen M., D-Tumblz, Summer & Laura - I came up empty this week for y'all... But don't worry, I'll get something soon, I'm not going to take a game off for a while, so LOOK OUT!... hope you are all well... and Sunday Love still LOVES YOU!

Football??? LSU - National Champs... enough said, and the season is officially done. But, I thought you might like to see a little fun at Navy's expense (someone's drinkin' the Haterade)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqWBOdXTX6o

And with that ... it's time for the World Famous Sunday Love Quotes:

"My boyfriend's coming to the game. He'll massage it later..." - Tami, when I asked her how she was doing after taking a hard shot to the posterior during warmups... ewwww.

"Who's the new girl?" - Nate, asking about Alex... classic. (Good to have you back, Al!)

"Me! You always forget me!" - a petulant Edamame, when Coach was asking who she had left out when addressing the Spirit... come on, E, after those specialty photo shots, and the trip to Phoenix, who could ever forget you?!

Well, folks, that's gonna do it for this edition. After a nice, relaxing couple of days, I'll be back in the arena on Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all! Have a great week!

Truitt, out.

No comments: