Monday, January 28, 2008

RAINY SUNDAY LOVE (Sunday Love 18)

Well kids, the skies have opened and the Los Angeles winter is officially upon us, and I feel like I'm living in Thailand during monsoon season... I mean, a little moisture would have been ok, but seriously, this is out of hand... I honestly can't remember our last non-rainy day... what's crazy about all of it, is that usually the rain turns L.A.'s normally ridiculous traffic into insane traffic (http://www.broowaha.com/article.php?id=715) but since it's been raining... it's been really easy getting to and from downtown for the games...has anyone else noticed this? Normally I spent about 30-40 minutes just getting out of downtown after the games and lately.... it's been like Night of the Comet out there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6dOoyghxb0) I only include the link because I think Coach and Marianne may be the only ones to get that reference... but anyhoo... it's a nice silver lining to the gray clouds which have been over the city for the past week... and with that

bring on the the RAINY SUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY LOVE!

So, what a week it was for the "Nation"... an early Monday game to celebrate MLK day was the second half of a home & home beating at the hands of the Jazz. Which wouldn't suck quite so bad if it wasn't Andre Kirilenko beating us... (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andrei_kirilenko/index.html) Honestly, doesn't he look like a 7 foot version of the kid that used to get beat up in your third grade class with the blond feathered hair? The only consolation is that he didn't score on Monday's game... but still... I'd rather let Brian Scalabrini go for thirty on us that have Kirilenko get ten... It's just shameful, you know? Anyhoo... it's always nice to beat Sacramento, and doing it at home is even sweeter... especially when they've gotten all their stars back and have absolutely no excuse to get beaten... nice. I even saw my Sacramento "friend" from last season's game that asked to have me removed from the arena for shouting at Mike Bibby! That's right, a female Sac fan who was simultaneously sporting the world's worst blonde dye job and world's worst boob job was sitting right in front of the "Shooter's Corner" and getting all aggro because I was talking a little Mike Bibby smack... and asked to have me removed... HA! So good to see her back in the arena, not having made any progress on her appearance or my removal, and her team not having made any progress in looking like a bunch of wanna-be thugs on the LAC court. Seriously, I've seen less crying in Steel Magnolias... and if Ron Artest thinks he's ever going to get a close call to go his way... he may be onto some of Ricky Williams' stash... But, I digress.

A BIG Sunday Love shout out to Marianne for letting me do a couple of on-court promotions with Traci... and a big shout out to Traci, for not only being so great at her job, and not only doing it while under the weather, but also for letting me rock the "Eat Fresh" during the Subway promo.... good times! And thanks to all my Game Night fam for the positive feedback!

It was a rough go for the two game roadie as well, as we were unable to avenge a loss to the Hornets (currently the hottest team in the West) and couldn't survive our second overtime game of the year... a heart-breaker at Memphis... But that's not to say that there isn't good news on the horizon! Looks like Elton has been cleared to begin doing some serious training and may be back in uniform soon... and with Chris now sitting, we could sure use him...

And that's not all this week... oh no... there weren't any games at STAPLES this weekend because GARTH BROOKS WAS THERE!!! That's right, for those of you that hadn't heard, he came out of retirement to do a benefit show to benefit those affected by the Southern California wildfires... well five shows actually, and in two days, no less... I think it's great that he did it, and it's good to remember that even though the news cycle has long-since forgotten about the devastation, there are still thousands of families without homes, and many who lost loved ones in the fight to save them. Aside from that, the show was awesome. Along with Whitney, Laura and Kelley, I was at the very last show on Saturday night, and it was just amazing. Who knew Whitney was such a big country fan? But I surely saw her standing up and singing "Friends in Low Places" loud and proud!!! I hope some more of you got out to see it... it may have been your last chance to see him live...

There was also a big birthday hoo haw on Saturday night for Nicole in Santa Monica at the Parlor... and it would have been nice for some of the FP to show up and help her celebrate, right??? No, wait a minute... that's right... we weren't invited!!! That's the biggest stiff since Chris Kaman didn't get picked for the All Star team... honestly, were you afraid we couldn't keep up with the dancing? Because last time I checked, it's always the FP holdin' down the dance floor when both teams are out... but hey, we hope you had a happy birthday without us :)

David Sanchez and Joey were off on (as one Spirit member told me) a Man-cation in Big Bear together... kickin' down the slopes snowboard style... and likely causing all sorts of ruckus in the nightlife... no word on whether there any stunting or flipping, and I've yet to see any pictures - but as Nicole likes to say, I'm sure they "shredded"

Some random locker room pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/glennt97/LockerRoomLove?authkey=FQAKw9kEd3g

And BEFORE I FORGET... you know you've established an institution when perfection is not only demanded of you, but your failure to achieve it is pointed out to you vigorously... as is the case with Sunday Love, and a few, minor errors I made it last week's "Love"... so, just to be clear:

1. It wasn't Leslie's birthday last week... apparently I was "eavesdropping" on Leslie discussing a friend's birthday that was happening in Hollywood at an all-ages club... of course, she was shouting and inviting everyone, but I was "eavesdropping"... nice. Anyhoo, thanks to everyone who wished her a happy birthday nonetheless... turns out people actually do read this!

2. It wasn't NICOLE B. without the man-drama, it was Cortlin. Which actually, if this is even possible, is more remarkable than Nicole not having any.... so congratulations should go out to Cortlin, and not to Nicole... Sorry to have gotten that confused, it's sometimes hard to make out who's who amidst the din of constant angst that is the FP locker room... (look it up)... let's hope Spring gets here soon...

3. I'm not actually in love with Ashley Ramirez... don't worry Nicole, she's seeing someone much better looking than me... but thanks to everyone who came with the full-on discouragement, lol.

So... that's the week... how about the Sunday PROPS!?

Brittany - after months and months of waiting, I've finally got some good love to give out for BRITTANY... so here it is: for having a secret admirer in the Arena! The only reason this is shocking is that I can't believe it took this long for someone to ask about you!! Looks like that winning smile is doing more than just winning over fans... WOO HOO!

Coach
- for indulging the "secret admirers" in STAPLES... for enjoying my "friend" from last year's Sac game with me, and for holding Spirit practice at 9 AM on a Sunday (trust me, you don't want to see the FP that early...)

Edamame
- for not having a quote this week... probably only because I haven't asked enough people, but you're off the hook this week... and I've reached the limit on the number of times I can mention your photo shoot pics... anyone spank you lately???

Whitney - for being closet country! Who knew with your hip-hop style that you'd be ready to head out and get a pair of Rockies and boots, and setting up a return trip to Montana's? You let me know when you're going and I'm there...

Taylor - every time I try to remember you from the games, I always find myself thinking that you were coordinating... which is completely wrong, but I guess you just really make an impression in a pants suit... but hey, for being suitcase number 1, which I TOTALLY would have chosen and not have won the big money...

Ashley R. - for your MySpace comments...

Kristin E. - for being the person who lives closest to me and not yet RSVP'ing for the Super Bowl party... which I guess is what I get for not coming to your Studio City boot camp, right? Hey, how's that going with this weather???

Shannon - for smiling again during warm-ups (thank you)... but I still need to see some crazy socks...

Tiffany C. -
for a successful start to your career as an event planner! So great to see someone going after something they really want to do... and being successful at it!!! You totally deserve it... you let Joey and I know if you want us to pay that teacher friend of yours a "visit"... you know, sort of "Office Linebacker" style; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0PvlytTNs)

Kelley - for continuing streak of refusing to read Sunday Love... if only the Clippers could get on a streak like that that! Way to be!

Alex - for showing up with Tiffany all civilian-clothes style to watch us whup up on Sacramento... at least this way, we won't miss you when you're not on a game!

Laura - for rocking out at the Garth concert... I could've sworn that pink bra that landed on stage was yours...

Tiffany M. - for always finding a way to get on the Jumbo-tron... even when you're not on the game...

Ashley S. - for having the big money case during the Deal or No Deal promo, and having just a smidge of trouble getting it open... hey, someone had to put a little suspense in the moment, right? I totally thought the money was in number 3, too....

Nicole C. - for the birthday invite... lol. A week after I give you the props for never making it into Sunday Love... you drop something like that... hmmm, looks like I shouldn't give out such love... it certainly doesn't help my social calendar...

and for my FP family...

Tami - for left cupie love, the world's worst toe touch, and always being ready to head out into an off-corner to stunt with me...

Summer -
for what will soon be an awesome personal statement...

Nicole B. - for the new boy... for as long as he lasts... and for his immortal soul...

Nate -
for being back in the basket toss... good to see you healing... for heading off for practice after the Clippers game... that's CRAZY, you'd better bring home a jacket!

Leslie -
for making your private party plans out-loud to the group and inviting people... for being half of the best in-stands team we've ever had...

Kristen M. -
for the most trips to Vegas this side of the Maloofs... for definitely being FP's Tammy Wynette... and for the best facials....

Katie -
for showing up in the locker room unannounced and making everyone's night!

Josh -
for serious math skills, and getting your homework accomplished while still kicking ass on the court...

Joey -
for the man-cation... for building that very cool "Tetris" pyramid, for still being my conscience when I'm all spun up...

D-Tumblz - for never taking your jewelry off unless you absolutely have to... you're like the FP's Liberace... seriously, who stunts with a watch on?

Dave Sanchez
- for shredding the slopes, and for listening to me vent... for swinging by to hit up some drums on Rock Band, and inspiring me to get to the gym tonight... thanks, yo.

Cortlin - again, for the quote of the week...

Harmony, Rachel, Arturo, Nina E., Lynae ... I tried and tried and couldn't come up with anything... which is either really good or really bad, depending on your point of view... don't worry, I'm on both games this week... I'll get ya....

* * *
By the time next week's Sunday Love is due, football with be officially done until the fall... and like Peyton Manning "I'm bummed too" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9sxwq5qfk)

But, as a reminder, I'm hosting a Super Bowl Hoo Hah at my place in Burbank, complete with party favors, a Rock Band halftime competition, a few silly parlay bets and some seriously good food... Check out the evite and let me know!

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?event=AGBPOQKBFNTVUHYODBVY

And unfortunately, I lost my Sunday Love quote sheet... so most of my quotes are lost... but I still remember Cortlin's gem:

"That's it?" - Cortlin, when someone responded "200 cc's" to her question, "How big are you going?"... guess you gotta live large if you're gonna live at all...

Well that'll about wrap it up for me, and I can still hear the rain outside my window, so at least I know I've still got a topical title... and I just realized that when I looked over the Sunday Love Archive that I named three different editions "Holiday Sunday Love"... guess I'll have to change that for the book...

Hope this finds you all well and (relatively) dry... be safe out there.. and see you tomorrow night!!!

Truitt... out.

No comments: